by Kristen A. Jenson, MA
Treatment Can Work!
The SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) website explains why we need this national observance:
“To educate Americans that substance use treatment and mental health services can enable those with a mental and/or substance use disorder to live a healthy and rewarding life.”
In other words, let’s celebrate the hard won gains of millions of Americans who have reclaimed their lives from addiction and the treatment providers who have helped them.
I think it’s a great idea! Where’s the cake? (Oops, I’m addicted to sugar, so I’d better skip that!)
Addiction is Ugly
Seriously, addiction causes untold pain to adults as well as children. I know because my dad was an alcoholic. He attempted recovery several times but sadly went to his (early) grave as an alcoholic. My dad’s addiction was a major factor in my parent’s divorce, and the fall-out was heartbreaking for me and my three sisters.
But here’s the truth: I hear virtually the same story from families destroyed by pornography addiction. In some ways, pornography addiction may be even worse because of the betrayal trauma it causes in spouses.
The Good News
The momentum against addiction is building!
In fact, we’ll be participating in four conferences this month to spread our porn addiction prevention message and to learn from other experts. Check them out and come see us if you can!
- Coalition to End Sexual Exploitation Summit in Orlando Florida (Sep 10-12, 2015)
- Arizona Family Council Families Fighting Pornography Conference held in Mesa, AZ (Sep 12, 2015)
- Southern Utah Coalition Against Pornography conference in St. George, Utah (Sep 19, 2015)
- World Meeting on Families in Philadelphia, PA (Sep 21-25, 2015)
I applaud everyone who is helping to promote addiction recovery. And when it comes to sexual addictions, we can all do something to help (because we’re all affected). We can help PREVENT addiction in the first place!
Call to Action: All Hands on Deck!
- Learn the facts about how pornography can become an addiction.
- Share our blog with your friends and family. Pass on the power of a PornProof Kid!
- Let people know that every child deserves to be warned about the dangers of pornography. Every. Last. Child.
Faith-Based Addiction Recovery Resources
In honor of the National Recovery Month, you may want to check out these new addiction recovery videos produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.